Dependants of 457 and 482 Visa Holders


​There is a tuition fee for Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) and the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) holders with dependant children enrolled in public schools. The tuition fee is $4,000 per annum regardless of the number of children (Pre-primary to Year 12) a family have enrolled.

In Western Australia, the visa 457 and 482 fee collection is managed on behalf of the Department of Education by TAFE International Western Australia.

The visa holder must keep their visa details up to date at each school their dependant children attend.

How do I pay the fee?
You will receive a Fee Advice for $4,000 from TAFE International Western Australia, the State Government agency responsible for overseas fee paying students attending Western Australian public schools. The Fee Advice will be sent to you as an email or in the post. You can elect to pay the tuition fee upfront or in instalments (weekly, fortnightly or monthly) via direct debit. 

Full payment must be received before the end of the school calendar year in which the invoice is issued.  If payments are made by instalments then the final instalment must be completed by the end of the last week of the school year.

There is no restriction on who pays the tuition fee – for example, your employer can pay the fe​e. 

Any unpaid or outstanding tuition fees from previous years must be paid along with the 2018 fees.

What if I am not/ no longer eligible to pay the fee?​
You will no longer be eligible to pay the fee if:

  • your children leave the public school system; or
  • your visa status changes.

Please note: you are required to pay for the number of weeks your children attend a public school up to and including the week your visa status changed.

You must notify each of your children's schools of the change to your status. This will ensure a correct Fee Advice is issued and you receive any refunds for which you may be eligible.

TIWA will notify you if you are eligible to apply for a refund for any excess payments you have made.

​Pay the fee online​​

Fees may be paid online in full or by instalments using your unique link via BPoint. This link can be found on your fee advice.

Alternatively, please contact our office at and the link will be sent to you via email.

Am I eligible to apply for a financial hardship provision?

You can apply to have your tuition fee reduced or waived.

An application for a fee waiver must be made within the year that the fee is incurred. Financial hardship applications for the 2015 and 2016 tuition fee can no longer be submitted.

There are two different kinds of financial hardship applications.

1. If your combined gross family income is $75 000 or less a year, you are eligible to apply for a fee waiver. The waiver is not ongoing. You will need to apply each year and produce evidence to support your application.

2. If there are unforeseen changes to your financial circumstances which have impacted your ability to pay the fee you are eligible to apply for a fee waiver within six months of the event. These unforeseen changes include illness, unemployment, change of employment conditions, family breakdown and death.

Applications will be considered on a case by case basis. A fee waiver is only for the period where you do not have the ability to pay the tuition fee; it is not ongoing. You will need to provide evidence to support your application.

More Frequently Asked Questions​

You can find translated information sheets, letters to parents and answers to ​relevant frequently asked questions on the 457 and 482 FAQ page​.

If you have any queries, please contact TAFE International Western Australia on 9218 2100 (option 1).

Download PDF Forms

The online payment methods will receive priority processing, ahead of the PDF form submissions below.

Added to shortlist view shortlist0
  • You have not added any courses to the shortlist yet.