Skip to main content

Current TAFE students

Welcome to TAFE and Western Australia (WA). 

We want your transition to studying and living in WA to be as easy as possible. Our services are dedicated to meet your needs as an international student, before and during study.

View our Support handbook for TAFE international students [PDF 12 MB](PDF document - opens in a new tab).

TAFE student orientation

You must complete your TAFE college orientation session before starting classes. 

Access student support services

We work closely with TAFE colleges and partners such as StudyPerth to support your student experience.

TAFE forms, policies and fact sheets

Access forms and fact sheets to help manage your enrolment.

Events and activities (over 18)

Make friends, learn safety awareness, develop life skills and connect with your local community.

Manage your TAFE enrolment

Refunds and withdrawals 

If your circumstances change after you have completed your enrolment, you may have to withdraw from your course. 

To withdraw, you must complete a Refund and withdrawal form [PDF 241 KB](PDF document - opens in a new tab). Please attach any supporting documentation and email your withdrawal request to in a new tab). 

Processing of your withdrawal, and any fee refund you may be due, can take up to four weeks. 

Defer or suspend your studies 

We can defer or temporarily suspend your enrolment for compassionate grounds or exceptional circumstances, such as a: 

  • severe medical illness to you or a member of your family;  
  • death in your family; 
  • medical condition while undertaking your studies, including pregnancy; or
  • natural disaster which affects you or your family. 

Before lodging your application to defer, we recommend you contact the Department of Home Affairs(opens in a new tab) to discuss how this may impact your visa. If you decide to proceed you must complete the Application to defer form [PDF 226 KB](PDF document - opens in a new tab)

Your application must detail your reason(s) for requesting to defer or temporarily suspend your studies, and include evidence to support your request. 

If you are under 18 years of age, you must provide written support from your parent or legal guardian. 

When a deferral or temporary suspension is approved, you will be advised in writing of the deferral period and your new commencement date. The Department of Home Affairs notes the change relating to your course of study, and this may affect your visa status. 

Deferral of your enrolment may result in an increase in tuition, resource and material fees. If you defer, you will be required to pay the fees that apply at your new commencement date. Confirmation of enrolments (CoEs) for the revised period will not be issued until all additional fees and charges are paid in full. If the deferral or temporary suspension is refused, you will be advised in writing and will have 20 working days to lodge an appeal. 

Please refer to the Complaints and appeals policy [PDF 603 KB](PDF document - opens in a new tab) for more information. 

Late arrival 

You must ensure you arrive on or before the commencement date indicated on your Letter of Offer

Late starts will only be granted in exceptional circumstances and evidence must be provided. 

Approval for a late start must be obtained and granted prior to your course commencement date. If you cannot arrive on time, you may need to defer your enrolment to the next available intake. 

Changing course and/or TAFE campus  

If you decide you would like to change the course you are studying, or attend classes at a different TAFE campus within WA, you should contact the International Centre at your TAFE college to discuss whether this is possible and how this may affect your visa. 

Please note the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level of your principal course. If you want to change your main course of study to a lower AQF level course, you will generally need to apply for a new student visa. For more information please view Home Affairs Study situation page(opens in a new tab)

To change your course and/or course location you must complete a Change of course/campus application form [PDF 230 KB](PDF document - opens in a new tab) at least two weeks prior to the upcoming semester.  A change of course and/or campus cannot occur during the semester. 

Change of course only

Your course change application will need to be approved by TIWA, and will be dependent upon intakes and available places. If you are currently on an intervention strategy, consultation between TIWA and the TAFE college will occur, prior to the change being approved. TIWA will consider the impact of your change request in line with your expected enrolment completion course level and date. You will be informed in writing of the outcome within 10 working days. 

Change of campus for same course 

If you wish to change your TAFE campus location in the same course, the receiving TAFE college needs to approve your application. Your completed units will be considered to ensure a suitable enrolment program and transition to complete the course within the expected duration. You will be informed in writing of the outcome within 10 working days. 

If you choose to proceed with a change of course or TAFE campus you will need to complete a Change of course/campus application form. We will contact you by email during this process and advise the outcome in writing.

Release requests – Students transferring to another education provider 

If you would like to transfer to another provider, you must apply for a release.  If you have not completed six months of study in your principal course* with TIWA, and wish to transfer to another provider, you must complete a Release request form [PDF 240 KB](PDF document - opens in a new tab) and email to

TIWA will inform you in writing of the outcome within 10 working days. Releases will only be granted in compassionate and compelling circumstances relating to the welfare of the student. 

Compassionate and/or compelling circumstances are defined as a sudden change of circumstances beyond the student's control that impact plans for on-campus study in Australia. You must provide documentary evidence of such circumstances.  Your application must detail the reason(s) for early release, full details of the new college and course you will be enrolling into, and a valid offer of enrolment from the new college. 

The following circumstances will not generally be considered compassionate or compelling. 

  • Lack of understanding of TIWA's Student transfer and release policy and/or Withdrawal and refund policy
  • Distance of your residential address from the campus at which you study
  • A desire to change to a new course with lower fees
  • If your CoE has already been cancelled for non-commencement or for an inactive enrolment status
  • A desire to move to another training provider to be with friends
  • Matters not related to your study with TIWA (such as accommodation issues, personal matters not affecting your study)
  • Where student fees are outstanding

* The principal course is defined as the highest qualification in a package of courses. 

If you are under 18 years of age, you must provide a letter from your parent/guardian to support your application for release. 
If your release is approved you will be issued a Release Letter. You must then contact the Department of Home Affairs(opens in a new tab) to notify them you have changed provider, as this may affect your student visa. 
If your release is refused you will receive a written reply outlining the reasons for refusal. You will have 20 working days to appeal the decision.

Course progress and attendance

As an international student, you may be unable to continue your studies if you do not achieve satisfactory course progress.

To show you are making every effort to achieve satisfactory course progress, you must attend all scheduled classes. 

If you are unable to attend class, you should contact your lecturer and the International Centre at your college. 

If you do not attend classes and do not notify the International Centre, your continuing enrolment and student visa may be at risk. 

If you have not attended classes, or not completed assessments, your lecturers must notify the International Centre that you are at risk of unsatisfactory course progress. 

A member of the International Centre staff will then contact you to discuss your progress and work, and make a plan to help you get your studies back on track. 

If you have made unsatisfactory progress – achieved less than 50% of the course requirements in two consecutive study periods (terms) – then your enrolment may be cancelled and a report sent to the Department of Home Affairs, which may affect your visa.

Intention to report 

If you breach your visa conditions on course progress or attendance requirements, TIWA will issue you with a notice of intention to report.

On receipt, you have 20 working days to lodge an appeal in writing to the TIWA Manager Customer Services and Compliance (

For an appeal, you may need to attend an interview to discuss your situation. You can bring a support person with you at any stage of this process. 

While your appeal is being considered, you must continue to attend classes. 

You will be advised in writing of the appeal outcome. If you are not satisfied with the decision, you have 10 working days to lodge an external appeal with the Western Australian Ombudsman(opens in a new tab). The Ombudsman will consider whether TIWA has followed its own policies and procedures, and whether your appeal has been handled fairly and reasonably. 

Continuing your TAFE studies 

If you wish to extend your studies at TAFE, please submit the Continuing students application form [PDF 221 KB](PDF document - opens in a new tab)

The TIWA Customer Service team will assess your application and if it's approved, email you a new Letter of Offer

If you wish to apply to study at a university, please contact the International Centre at your preferred university.  

You may also need to renew your student visa. Read how to apply for a new student visa on the Department of Home Affairs Student visa webpage(opens in a new tab)


Last updated on April 22, 2024