Skip to main content


Public transport

In Perth there are six main train lines and more than 280 bus routes, provided by Transperth. Many Transperth services connect with university and TAFE campuses(opens in a new tab) and with secondary schools(opens in a new tab).

You can use a Transperth SmartRider card rather than cash, for cheaper and easier travel. As a student, you can get a further discount on Transperth and regional town bus services by using one of the following cards. On your arrival in WA, be sure to apply for:

Australia's most satisfied train customers!

Transperth was rated Australia's best city rail network in Canstar Blue’s 2021 survey(opens in a new tab) for the seventh year in a row! It received five stars for all categories; including reliability, scheduling, comfort, safety, cleanliness, ticketing, cost and overall satisfaction. 

Free travel

A great feature of life in Perth is the free public transport available in the central business districts (CBDs) of Perth, Fremantle and Joondalup. The free Central Area Transit's (CAT) buses(opens in a new tab) are frequent.


You can take the quick and easy Transperth ferry service (opens in a new tab)across the Swan River, between Barrack Street jetty (next to the Bell Tower in central Perth) and South Perth.

A video guide to Transperth services

Choose a translated video from the Transperth information video playlist on this page.


In Australia, the driver sits on the right side of the car. You drive on the left side of the road.

As a visitor to WA, you can drive on an overseas driver's licence(opens in a new tab) as long as it is valid in your country of issue. If it is not valid, you must apply for a West Australian licence(opens in a new tab) to continue driving. 

Some campuses offer free student car parking — Check your TAFE campus information(opens in a new tab)

Rideshare and taxis

On demand rideshare services such as Uber, Ola, Didi and more are popular in Perth. These can offer cheap fares but often cost more at busy times.

You can catch taxis throughout Perth from signposted taxi ranks outside train stations, shopping centres, hotels and tourist areas, or request a taxi by phone. Catching a taxi on public holidays or after certain hours may cost extra. Perth’s main taxi companies are Black & White Cabs (131 008)(opens in a new tab) and Swan Taxis (131 330)(opens in a new tab).

Walking and cycling

There are many walking and cycling tracks around Perth(opens in a new tab), along the Swan River, hills, beaches and in many suburbs. In WA, cyclists must wear a helmet and use lights at night.

View WA Government information on safe cycling on roads and footpaths(opens in a new tab).


The use of eScooters and other electric rideable devices is growing in WA. You can use eRideables on footpaths, bicycle paths, shared paths, and on local roads without centre lines. 

View WA Government information on eRideable rules(opens in a new tab)

Travel safely

For advice, including road rules and advice for travel at night, view our Safety, health and wellbeing page

Last updated on November 20, 2022