Skip to main content

Accommodation options for international students (over 18)

There is currently high demand for accommodation in Western Australia (WA) and some accommodation providers may have no capacity available in the short term. If you have trouble finding accommodation, please contact us(opens in a new tab).

If you are a parent of a student under 18 years old, please view our Under 18s accommodation page.

To secure good accommodation, be sure to arrive well before your course commences. If studying at a metropolitan college we recommend that you book temporary accommodation for the first few weeks or homestay accommodation for the first month.

With all types of shared accommodation, you will need to specify if you prefer to share with either men only or women only.

As an adult student, your main accommodation options are outlined below.

On this page:
Temporary accommodation
Dedicated student housing (Perth city or university campus villages)
Private rental
Group of eight students huddled together smiling

Temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation may be a good choice when you first arrive. You can book online using websites HostelWorld Perth(opens in a new tab) and YHA Hostels(opens in a new tab).

There are many backpacker hostels or budget hotels to choose from. These start from about AUD$30 per person per night for a shared room and AU$60 per night for a private room.


Homestay allows students to live with an Australian family. This is very popular because you can make friends, embrace the Australian lifestyle and improve your English. You may wish to consider a four-week short homestay to transition into your local area and college.

Homestay accommodation is only available in the metropolitan area. Bookings must be made at least two weeks in advance. Late bookings will incur additional fees. To learn more about homestay or book, visit the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) website(opens in a new tab).

Homestay options and costs

View homestay pricing for adults on the Homestay Network Perth page(opens in a new tab).

Homestay options include three meals per day and laundry, snacks, electricity and gas.

Australia Homestay Network (AHN) has comprehensive compulsory homestay insurance cover(opens in a new tab). This means your personal effects are covered while living with an accredited AHN host family.


Dedicated student housing

City-based housing

There is dedicated student housing in the heart of downtown Perth. All places are a short walk from the shopping and entertainment precinct: 

Prices are subject to change – please check the provider websites to confirm.

Campus villages

TAFE International WA (TIWA) students over 18 years old can apply to stay in accommodation at university student villages in the suburbs of Perth (Joondalup, Mount Lawley or  Murdoch) or in Bunbury (near a South Regional TAFE campus). 

Metropolitan locations
Regional locations

Prices are subject to change – please check the provider websites to confirm.

Private rental

Many students choose to share a rental house or apartment with other students, to reduce costs. View the Study Australia Cost of Living Calculator to estimate costs including utility bills(opens in a new tab)

Searching for rental accommodation

Some useful websites to search for rental accommodation are: 

The International Student Centre at your college may be able to help you find a rental in a local suburb. 

It is recommended that you only deal with authorised businesses when organising accommodation before you arrive.

Rental checklist
  • Make sure you have read and understood the terms and conditions of any tenancy agreement before you sign.
  • If you pay a security deposit, make sure you obtain a receipt.
  • Make sure you obtain contents insurance to cover theft or damage to your personal items – this is not usually included and is your responsibility.
  • Visit Consumer Protection's website(opens in a new tab) to view legal advice for renting a property in Western Australia.


Last updated on April 10, 2024