student visa holders - 500 or 571 visas

​Enrolment conditions

In Western Australia, students on a 500 or 571 student visa can apply to study at a public school from Year 1 to Year 12. The student’s age will normally determine the year level that they are placed into.

The minimum enrolment period for a student visa holder is two school terms.

Students must have current Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of their student visa.

english requirements

Where English is not the first language, students can enrol in an Intensive English Program for a maximum 12 months. 

For more information visit the English language requirements page.

living arrangements

Western Australian public schools do not offer residential accommodation to students. Students under 18 years old are required to have local guardians.

If a student intends to live with a relative in Perth, the relative must nominate as a guardian with the Department of Home Affairs using Form 157N Student guardianship arrangements.

Primary School students must reside with a parent for the duration of their studies.  Secondary School Students may reside with a close family relative as defined by Division 1.2 of Migration Regulations. These regulations define a close family relative as:

  • a parent or step-parent;
  • an aunt or an uncle; or
  • a grandparent or step-grandparent.


The homestay option is only available to students in Year 8 and above. 

If the student does not nominate a relative, then TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) requires the student to live in homestay accommodation organised by Australian Homestay Network (AHN). AHN is the accommodation provider in Western Australia.

Please note: Homestay accommodation is only available in the metropolitan area. Regional placements will only be considered where a parent nominated homestay can be arranged.

For more about local guardians and homestay please visit the accommodation for under 18’s page.

fees and charges

Find out more about fees and charges on the tuition fees for school students page.

application process

To apply to study at a Western Australian primary or secondary school view the application process page.

You will need to nominate a minimum of four schools from the available schools list.


View information about exchange programs available at Western Australian secondary schools.

More information

Please select your school level:

Frequently asked questions

Q: As a 500 or 571 Student Visa Holder when do I need to pay my tuition fees?

500 or 571 Student Visa holders must pay their tuition fees in full for the first semester of the course, the following semester fees will be due in May and November of each year. Payment options and methods are detailed on the statement of account issued with your offer letter.

Q: What is the shortest time I can study at school?

The minimum time a student can study on a student visa is for six months (two terms of schooling).

Added to shortlist view shortlist0
  • You have not added any courses to the shortlist yet.