Student Visa

​International students need a student visa to study in Australia. You should apply for your visa after receiving your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA). A student visa will only be issued to students who undertake a full-time study load.

Your student visa will:

  • be emailed to you by Department of Home Affairs;
  • be issued for the duration of your course of study or full duration of a study package; and
  • enable you to re-enter Australia for the duration of your course.

Visa Subclass

From 1 July 2016 there are now two student visa subclasses:

  • Student visa 500.
  • Student guardian visa 590.     

For further details please visit the Department of Home Affairs website:

Prior to 1 July 2016, a student visa was made up of 8 subclasses:

  • ​1. Independent ELICOS (570)
  • 2. Schools (571)
  • 3. Vocational Education and Training - TAFE courses (572)
  • 4. Higher Education – Associate Degrees, University Packaging (SVP)(573)
  • 5. Postgraduate research (574)
  • 6. Non-award (575)
  • 7. AUSAID or Defence (576)
  • 8. Student guardian (580)

A guide to other Visa Subclasses

If you do not hold a student visa and need to know what your enrolment conditions are, please refer to the below list.

Vocational Courses Visa Subclass Guide

If you have any queries, please contact TAFE International Western Australia by phone (+61 8 9218 2100) or email

How do I bring my children?

If you are studying at an Educati​on Provider in Western Australia you will require a Confirmation of Placement from TAFE International Western Australia to ​​secure your child’s dependant visa.

To receive a copy of your Confirmation of Placement you are required to provide the following documents:

  • Completed Confirmation of Placement Request Form
  • Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) for the Primary​​ Visa Holder
  • Copy of the Primary Visa holders passport details page
  • Copy of the child/children's passport details ​page

Please send these documents to the Admissions Team via email:​​​

This Confirmation of Placement does not guarantee you an enrolment in a public primary or secondary school.

​Temporary graduate visa (subclass 485)

​If you would like to stay in Australia to gain work experience after completing your Australian qualification you may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 4​85) visa. This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to four years, depending on your qualifications.​View Subclass 485 Visa Information for Students.

Visa charges

The Department of Home Affairs has recently made some changes to the visa application charge. Up to date information on the new visa application charges can be found on the Home Affairs website.

Requirements for Evidence of Funds

To be granted a Student visa, you are required to demonstrate and/or declare that you have genuine access to sufficient funds. This helps you make the most of your studies for a safe and enjoyable experience in Australia. 

View the current financial requirements per year​​.​

Useful links

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can I study at TAFE on a Working Holiday Visa?

Working Holiday Visas have a 17 weeks maximum study restriction, so you are able to study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students at North Metropolitan TAFE.

You cannot enrol into any of the Certificate or Diploma courses offered by the TAFE Western Australian colleges, as they are a minimum of 6 months in duration. If you would like to study one of these courses, you may apply for a student visa. Please check your Department of Home Affairs Assessment Level for eligibility to apply for a student visa within Australia.

Q: Can I study if I am on a Bridging visa?

If you are currently on a Bridging visa, you must abide by the conditions of your previous substantive visa, this means the visa that you were issued with before you received a Bridging Visa. You can check the conditions of your Bridging visa on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Q: Can my visa be extended?

You may want to extend your visa for further study. You should contact the Department of Home Affairs for further information as to your eligibility and the costs involved.

Q: How can I make an appointment with the Department of Home Affairs?

To make appointments or discuss visa information with the Department of Home Affairs, students in Western Australia should call 131 881.

Q: How do I get a visa?

To lodge an application for your student visa visit the Department of Home Affairs website or lodge a paper based application at your nearest visa processing post. You can also contact one of TAFE International Western Australia's registered Education Agents to assist you with your application.

Q: How long will my visa be valid for?

The Australian student visa is a temporary visa and is issued for the duration of your course. As TAFE International Western Australia does not issue student visas, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs or your education agent.

Q: How much does it cost to apply for a visa?

Up to date information on visa application charges can be found on the Home Affairs website.

Q: How much time does it take to get a Student Visa?

The Department of Home Affairs issues student visas. Please contact Immigration for processing times. Education agents in your home country can often provide advice regarding the Australian student visa. We recommend students from Assessment Level 3 countries consult an TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) Education Agent.

Q: I have a current temporary Australian visa, can I study?

No, international students on a temporary visa will need to obtain a student visa to study in Australia. You should apply for your visa after receiving your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) from TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA). A student visa will only be issued to students who undertake a fulltime study load.

Q: Is there an English Requirement to apply for a student visa?

The Department of Home Affairs requires evidence of English language ability in order to grant a student visa. Students should refer to the Assessment Level for their country to determine the evidence required. If you are from an Assessment Level 3, you must provide a formal English test. Information about tests currently accepted by Home Affairs can be found on their website.

Q: What happens if I do not get my visa?

If you do not get your visa, you will not be able to stay in Western Australia. Tuition fees paid will be refunded excluding a $280 administration fee on receipt of written Department of Home Affairs notification, and proof that your visa application was denied prior to your start date.

Q: Which documents do I need to submit with my visa application?

Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for detailed information on submitting a student visa or consult your local TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) authorised education agent.

Q: Why do I need to show my bank statement to Australian Immigration?

The Department of Home Affairs needs to see a current bank statement as proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your living requirements while in Australia.

Added to shortlist view shortlist0
  • You have not added any courses to the shortlist yet.