Western Australian public schools do not offer residential accommodation to students.
Students younger than 18 years of age are required to have a local carer. The following options are available:
OPTION 1: living in Australia with a parent.
OPTION 2: living in Australia with a blood relative over 21 years of age who is nominated by a parent or legal guardian and approved by the
Department of Home Affairs.
OPTION 3: living in a homestay with an Australian family. This must be arranged through TAFE International Western Australia’s (TIWA's) homestay provider the
Australian Homestay Network (AHN).
A family may nominate a host for their child. The intended host must register at
homestaynetwork.org and identify themselves as nominated when registering, noting on their profile who they wish to host. Hosts must satisfy AHN’s selection process.
Please note: students will only be considered for homestay from 14 years of age. Homestay accommodation is only available in the metropolitan area. Regional placements will only be considered where a nominated homestay can be arranged.
Australian Homestay Network
An AHN Homestay student is provided with:
- A clean fully furnished room.
- A supportive family environment to live in.
- Meals (see below options).
- Utilities (however, overseas telephone calls and internet usage can be negotiated).
- AHN 24/7 professional telephone support.
- AHN Contents Insurance for students and hosts (as per AHN Insurance Policy).
- Airport pickup can be arranged at a cost of $130 and will take the student directly to their homestay (mandatory for minors).
Costs associated with homestay
Full Service Homestay (3 meals per day) ||$310 AUD a week |
For further information please view the
Homestay Standards provided by the Australian Government Schools International (AGSI) or view the
Australian Government Schools International Homestay Standards brochure.
Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter
For a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter to be issued, TIWA requires:
This enables the student to apply for their student visa.
The CAAW is valid seven days before commencement of studies and seven days after completion, therefore the student cannot arrive or depart before or after this period.
- Students cannot change homestay without TIWA approval.
- Two weeks written notice (signed by the student's parent) is required for early departure from the homestay.
Term Holidays (Students issued with a CAAW)
Students who have been issued with a CAAW are required to advise TIWA of their holiday arrangements each term.
Departure and arrival information
Please note: Students younger than 18 years of age can only arrive one week prior to study commencement, airport pick up is compulsory and travel by taxi is not permitted.
Alternative travel arrangements must be approved by TIWA using the Confirmation of holiday arrangement form.
View more departure and arrival information.
- Australian Homestay Network (AHN)
Accommodation Requirements for Under 18s Factsheet
- Accommodation and welfare requirements for overseas students under 18 years of age
with a student visa studying with an Australian education provider.