Application process

How to apply to TAFE Western Australia

Application Process

1. Find a​ course​

You can choose from over 135 TAFE courses. Visit the online course catalogue ​for information on courses.

2. Check the entry requirements

All applicants can study at TAFE in the calendar year they are turning 18. There are no English ​or Academic entry requirements to begin our English (ELIC​OS) programs. However, all of our Certificate and Diploma courses have specific Admission and English proficiency requirements. These are listed with each course in our course catalogue.

Make sure that you can meet the entry requirements of your chosen course before you proceed to the next step in the application process.

Application and Acceptance deadlines

Deadlines for submitting applications to TIWA for admission to TAFE courses depend on your passport nationality and whether or not students are applying on or offshore.

Students should also​ be aware that there are deadlines for accepting offers and making fee payment. CoEs will not be issued after the cut off date. This is to ensure that students have a reasonable time to get their visa and ​​arrive in time for orientation and the start of classes.

3. Submit your application

You can apply to study at a TAFE college by completing your application online. This is our preferred method and will receive priority processing.

apply now

Apply using an Education Agent

You can apply directly to TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) or you can apply through one of TIWA’s approved education agents. You pay the same fees whether you apply directly to us or through one of our agents.

Many students choose to apply directly, especially as they can use this website to find all the information they need and submit their applications online. Other students choose to use Agents to assist them in preparing and submitting their study and visa applications. If you do not already have an agent, you can find an approved TIWA agent using our Find an Education Agent tool.

Applications submitted online by agents also receive priority processing.

Receive your Letter of Offer

Once we have received your application and supporting documentation, we will assess your eligibility to study your selected course(s). If eligible and there are places available we will send you a Letter of Offer. This letter will be sent to you directly or through the agent you have nominated according to your instructions on the application form.

If we have not received all of the required supporting documentation from you, for example certified copies of certificates etc., then your Letter of Offer will have conditions listed noting the information you still need to provide.

High demand courses like Engineering and Nursing fill up very quickly, so you should consider returning your acceptance and payment promptly.

Please note your place is subject to availability at the time of acceptance and payment.

You must allow sufficient time before your program starts to obtain your visa and make arrangements to come to Western Australia. Usually at least 3 – 6 months is needed to do this.

4. Accept your Offer and Pay

To accept your Offer, you must return your signed Letter of Acceptance with:

  • Supporting documentation that you were requested to supply, in your Letter of Offer (i.e. conditions)
  • Payment of your schedule of fees, as indicated on your Letter of Offer​

5. Receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and apply for your Student Visa

Subject to the availability of places after you have signed and returned the Letter of Acceptance, made full payment and met any conditions, we will provide you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which you will need in order to apply for a Student Visa at the Aust​ralian High Commission or Embassy in your country. You must have a student visa in order to enter Australia and commence your studies.

The latest and most accurate information on obtaining your student visa can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Note: Students from India and Nepal relying on bank loans to fund their studies must ensure their loans are from banks approved by the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs). View approved banks in Nepal and India.

If you need help obtaining your visa and other aspects of moving to Australia, which may be best provided in your own country or language, then you might like to use the services of one of TIWA’s approved agents. You can find an approved TIWA agent in using our Find an Education Agent tool.

View more information in the Visa section of the website.

Overseas Health Cover

The Australian Government requires all international students to have Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) to receive their student visa. Please see the OSHC section for more information.​

6. Receive your Visa and come to Australia to commence your studies

When your student visa has been granted​, you are ready to come to Western Australia to begin your course. Please take note of the Orientation dates for your Institute a​s you will be provided with important information that you need ​to know to successfully complete your course and to make the most of your time in Western Australia.

You must arrive in Australia ​prior to the commencement of your course or your enrolment may be deferred to the next available intake and you may have to return home.

​Download Application Form

If you are unable to apply online you can print out an 

Applicat​io​n Form and submit it by post or email.

TAFE International Western Australia
Admissions Team, Locked Bag 16, Osborne Park DC WA 6916

Your Enrolment

Please be aware of the rules that apply to your enrolment:

Start Planning Guide​

The following guide will provide additional information to help you start planning for your studies:

​​Start Planning Guide for TAFE students

Frequently asked questions

Q: How can I get an Australian equivalency certification for qualifications completed overseas?

The Overseas Qualifications Unit is able to assess qualifications gained overseas for eligible migrants who live in Western Australia and are on permanent or temporary visas.

Q: How do I find an Education Agent?

An Education Agent can help you with the enrolment and student visa application process. TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) has an extensive network of education agents which are listed on our website under each country.

Q: How long before I receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)?

Once you have received your offer and met all of the conditions outlined on the “Study Plan”, you can sign and submit the “Acceptance” form and pay your first semester tuition fees and Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of your visa. Once this is received by our Student Services team, you should receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) within 5 working days. Please ensure TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) has a copy of the information page of your passport.

Q: How long before I receive a Letter of Offer?

A Letter of Offer is usually issued within 5 working days. Please note that during peak periods it may take longer to receive your letter of offer. 

If you are applying for a University package it will take approximately 4 weeks to process the TAFE and University offer. Please submit applications for university packages well in advance of the intake date.

Q: What will happen after I have applied to TAFE?

Once your application has been submitted, it will be assessed by TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) and if you meet the entry requirements you will receive a Letter of Offer.

If you have not provided us with all of the necessary documents you may be issued a Conditional Letter of Offer and you should provide us with further evidence as requested in the documentation. The offer will also outline what fees you have to pay and any enrolment conditions that need to be met (e.g. proof of your English or academic level).

Once you have paid the first semester's tuition fees plus your Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of your visa, you will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which you can then use to apply for your student visa. Your student visa will cover the whole length of your course.

Q: When is the last date I can apply for my course?

Students should apply well in advance to be offered a place in their chosen course. Many courses are very popular and your place is not guaranteed until payment is received. Application dates for TAFE courses can be found in the Application Dates section of our website.

Added to shortlist view shortlist0
  • You have not added any courses to the shortlist yet.