Help + advice


Public Transport

There are two main types of public transport in Perth provided by Transperth:

  • Train
  • Bus

The public transport system has two types of ticketing, cash tickets and SmartRider - Transperth’s electronic ticketing system.

SmartRider is recommended as it ensures that you pay the appropriate and lowest fare. The cost of your ticket for each trip you make is then calculated on the number of zones travelled, i.e. the more zones you cross, the more money it will cost.

Free Travel in CBD

An amazing feature of life in Perth is the free public transport that is available within the Central Business Districts (CBD) of Perth, Joondalup and Fremantle. The Central Area Transit's (CAT) bus is free and provides high frequency services.

Discount travel for students

Students undertaking full-time study at TAFE institutions are entitled to concession travel entitlements on Transperth and regional town bus services with their Tertiary SmartRider.

Tertiary students purchasing a concession fare must be in possession of a valid Tertiary SmartRider when travelling.  Failure to do so could result in a fine.  Tertiary student car​​​​​ds or other forms of identification are not accepted by Transperth as proof of tertiary concession entitlement.

View the public transport services that connect to your ​​​campus​.


To drive in Western Australia you will require a valid driver’s license.  You may be able to drive in Australia if you have a current license from your home country.

Read the Safe Driving Guide to help you stay safe on Western Australian roads.

If you plan to use a car in Perth, you may have to pay for parking when you attend classes as not all TAFE college campuses in Western Australia have student parking. Check your college campus information to find out more.

International Driver’s Licence

Visitors to Western Australia are allowed to drive on an overseas licence, as long as it is valid in their country of issue. If your overseas licence is not valid you ​must apply for a West Australian licence if you wish to continue driving.


Taxi’s are used throughout Perth and can be caught from a sign-posted taxi rank outside:

  • Train stations
  • Shopping centres
  • Hotels
  • Shopping and tourist areas.

It is also possible to make a phone booking to order a taxi. Please note that catching a taxi on public holidays and after a certain hour at night, may cost extra.

Please see below for links to Perth’s main taxi companies:

Walking and cycling

There are many great walking and cycling tracks around Perth. You will find these along the Swan River in Perth and in many of the outer suburbs. You may even be able to cycle or walk from your accommodation to TAFE.

However, please remember, it is illegal to cycle in Australia without a cycle helmet at all times or without lights if you cycle at night.


As well as a bus and train service, you can take a Transperth ferry service across the Swan River. The ferry leaves from the Barrack Street jetty, next to the Bell Tower in the centre of the City and is a quick and easy way to travel to South Perth.  

Disclaimer: The information and contacts provided by TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) are to provide you with details of transport options in Western Australia. The information provided is compiled in good faith, and is intended as a guide only. TIWA may not investigate the content of any information provided and does not endorse, guarantee, warrant, or recommend the accuracy of the information or necessarily subscribe to any such opinions or recommendations. TIWA does not profit in any way or sponsor any of the contacts listed, they are provided solely as a convenience to you.


Added to shortlist view shortlist0
  • You have not added any courses to the shortlist yet.