Help + advice

Accommodation During Your Studies

There are a variety of accommodation options available to international students studying in Western Australia. All accommodation options listed below are for students over 18 years old. For information regarding under-age students, please view the Accommodation for under 18s page. The prices listed below are for 2019 and are subject to annual review.

Types of accommodation

Be sure to arrive well in advance of your course commencement to secure good accommodation, as per the date stated on your student visa. With all types of shared accommodation, you will need to specify if you prefer to share with either men-only or women-only.

Temporary Accommodation

Temporary accommodation may be a good option for when you first arrive. There is a range of tempo​rary accommodation on offer in Perth, which you can book online using websites HostelWorld Perth and YHA Hostels. There are many backpacker hostels or budget hotels to choose from that start from $30 per night for a shared room and $60 per night for a private room.


Homestay allows students to live with an Australian family. This is very popular because you can make friends, embrace the Australian lifestyle and improve your English. Homestay costs between $290-$325 per week, depending on your age and level of service provided. There is also a Homestay placement fee of $290.

Bookings must be made at least two weeks in advance. Late bookings will incur additional fees.

Homestay options are:

  • Full service: $325 per week, includes 3 meals per day
  • Half service: $290 per week, includes 2 meals per day

The fee also includes laundry, snacks, electricity and gas.

You may wish to consider a four week short homestay to transition into your local area and college. Homestay accommodation is only available in the metropolitan area. Regional placements will only be considered where a parent nominated homestay can be arranged. For more information about Homestay and to make a booking, contact Australian Homestay Network (AHN) at

Rental Accommodation

Many students choose to share a rental house or apartment with other students as this reduces costs. The average rental price for a furnished room in share accommodation is around $160 per week but can range from $70–$250 per week. This cost does not usually include electricity, water or gas.

New city based accommodation
From 2019 new student accommodation will be available in the heart of downtown Perth, just a stroll from the shopping and entertainment precinct:

  • Campus Perth - rooms start from $162 per person per week (four share)
  • The Boulevard - rooms start from $239 per person per week (twin share)

Some useful websites to search for rental accommodation are:

The International Student Centre at your college may be able to provide assistance in identifying suitable accommodation in one of the local suburbs.

Accommodation Checklist

  • Make sure you have read and understood the terms and conditions of any tenancy agreement before you sign.
  • If you pay a security deposit, make sure you obtain a receipt.

Visit Consumer Protection's website to view legal information about renting a property in Western Australia.

Campus villages

Accommodation is available to TAFE international students over 18 years old on several different university campus locations in the Perth metropolitan area, and regional Western Australia.​

Metropolitan locations

Regional locations

Airport Transfer

Airport pickup can be arranged at a cost of $130 and is compulsory for students under 18 years old. Students will be taken directly to their homestay family or temporary accommodation. Please contact AHN to organise thi​s service. Please view the Departure and Arrivals page to see costs of travel to Perth city. 

Useful links

Disclaimer: The information and contacts provided by TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) are to assist you in your search for accommodation and provide you with details of the services you may require. The information provided is compiled in good faith, and is intended as a guide only. TIWA may not investigate the content of any information provided and does not endorse, guarantee, warrant, or recommend the accuracy of the information or necessarily subscribe to any such opinions or recommendations. TIWA does not profit in any way or sponsor any of the contacts listed, they are provided solely as a convenience to you.

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can I live on campus?

TAFE international students over 18 years old can apply to stay in accommodation at university student villages in Joondalup, Mount Lawley, Murdoch (in the metropolitan area) or Bunbury (near a South Regional TAFE campus). View a full list of your accommodation options.

If studying at a metropolitan college we recommend that you book temporary accommodation for the first few weeks or homestay accommodation for the first month after arrival.

Q: How can I become an Australia Homestay Network (AHN) host family?

Information about becoming an AHN host can be found on the Australian Homestay Network website.

Q: How much will I have to pay for accommodation?

Accommodation costs vary depending on your circumstances. A single student in shared accommodation should budget between $120 to $180 per week. There are a number of websites that may be helpful in selecting accommodation ( and Homestay accommodation costs $290 to $325 per week, please refer to our homestay provider Australian Homestay Network (AHN) for more information.

Q: What accommodation options do I have in Perth?

There is a range of accommodation options in Perth. Temporary accommodation offered in Perth includes hostel, backpacker lodges and serviced apartments. Many students choose to rent an apartment or house with other students. If you are concerned about signing a contract or rental agreements please speak to your International Coordinator at your college.

TAFE international students over 18 years old can apply to stay in accommodation at university student villages in Joondalup, Mount Lawley, Murdoch (metropolitan area) or Bunbury (South West).

Another popular choice is homestay accommodation, where you live with a local family and have most of your meals included.

View a full list of your accommodation options.

Q: Will my belongings be insured at the homestay?

Yes, Australia Homestay Network (AHN) has comprehensive compulsory homestay insurance cover which means that students personal effects are covered while living with an accredited AHN Host family. Full details of the insurance policy can be found on AHN website.

Added to shortlist view shortlist0
  • You have not added any courses to the shortlist yet.