Help + advice


Accommodation During Your Studies

There are a variety of accommodation options available to international students studying in Western Australia including:

Be sure to arrive well in advance of your course commencing to secure good accommodation, as per the date stated on your student visa.

View the TIWA student accommodation flyer


​For information regarding under-age students, please view the ​Accommodation for under 18s page.

Temporary Accommodation

Temporary accommodation may be a good option for when you first arrive in Western Australia. There is a range of tempo​rary accommodation on offer in Perth, which you can search for through the internet and book online.

There are many backpacker hostels or budget hotels to choose from that range from $30–$150 AUD per night depending on whether you require shared or single rooms.

Rental Accommodation

Many students choose to share a rental house or apartment with other students as this reduces costs.

The average rental price for a furnished room in share accommodation is around $160 per week but can range from $70–$250 per week. This cost does not usually include electricity, water or gas.

Some useful websites to search for rental accommodation are:

You can also look in local newspapers such as The West Australian or The Sunday Times, where a large range of rentals are advertised. The International Student Centre at your college may be able to provide assistance in identifying suitable accommodation in one of the local suburbs.

Accommodation Checklist

  • Make sure you have read and understood the terms and conditions of any tenancy agreement before you sign.
  • If you pay a security deposit, make sure you obtain a receipt.

Campus Living villages

Accommodation is available to TAFE international students on several different university campus locations in the Perth metropolitan area, and regional Western Australia.​

Please note this accommodation is only available to students over 18 years old. If you are under 18 years old please see the Accommodation for under 18s page​.

The prices listed below are for 2016 and are subject to annual review.

​Edith Cowan University (ECU) Village, Mount Lawley

The Edith Cowan University (ECU) Village Mt Lawley is a short distance from the North Metropolitan TAFE Mount Lawley campus. 

The ECU Village is 10 minutes by bus from the centre of Perth and transport to other TAFE campus locations. Rooms start from $197.50 per person per week.

View the ECU Village brochure

  ​​Please note that the ECU Campus Village is located at ECU, not North Metropolitan TAFE.

Murdoch University Village, Murdoch

​The Murdoch University Village is located only 1km from the South Metropolitan TAFE Murdoch campus. Rooms start from $168 per person per week.

View the Murdoch University Village brochure

​​Please note that the Murdoch University Village is located at Murdoch University, not South Metropolitan TAFE.

Regional Accommodation

The regional TAFE Institutes that offer on-campus student accommodation include the Central Regional TAFE at Pepperell Village, and South Regional TAFE at theECU Student Village Bunbury. Rooms start from $183.50 per person per week.


Homestay allows students to live with an Australian family. This is very popular because you can make Australian friends, embrace the Australian lifestyle and improve your English. Homestay costs between $275-$310 per week, depending on your age and level of service provided. There is also a Homestay placement fee of $250.

Bookings must be made at least two weeks in advance. Late bookings will incur additional fees.

Homestay options are:

  • Full service: $310 per week, includes 3 meals per day
  • Half service: $275 per week, includes 2 meals per day

The fee also includes laundry, snacks, electricity and gas.

For students over the age of 18 you may wish to consider a four week short homestay to transition into your local area and college. For more information about Homestay and to make a booking, contact Australian Homestay Network (AHN) at

Please note: Homestay accommodation is only available in the metropolitan area. Regional placements will only be considered where a parent nominated homestay can be arranged.

Airport Transfer

Airport pickup can be arranged at a cost of $130. Students will be taken directly to their homestay family or temporary accommodation. Please contact AHN to organise thi​s service.

A taxi from the airport to central Perth costs approximately $50. An airport bus ($20) is also available and can drop passengers at central city hotels.

Please note:  Airport pick up is compulsory for students under 18.

Useful links

Disclaimer: The information and contacts provided by TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA) are to assist you in your search for accommodation and provide you with details of the services you may require. The information provided is compiled in good faith, and is intended as a guide only. TIWA may not investigate the content of any information provided and does not endorse, guarantee, warrant, or recommend the accuracy of the information or necessarily subscribe to any such opinions or recommendations. TIWA does not profit in any way or sponsor any of the contacts listed, they are provided solely as a convenience to you.

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can I live on campus?

TAFE international students over 18 years old can apply to stay in accommodation at university student villages in Mount Lawley, Murdoch (metropolitan area) or Bunbury (South Metropolitan TAFE). View a full list of your accommodation options.

If studying at a metropolitan college we recommend that you book temporary accommodation for the first few weeks or homestay accommodation for the first month after arrival.

Q: How can I become an Australia Homestay Network (AHN) host family?

Information about becoming an AHN host can be found on the Australian Homestay Network website.

Q: How much will I have to pay for accommodation?

Accommodation costs vary depending on your circumstances. A single student in shared accommodation should budget between $120 to $180 per week. There are a number of websites that may be helpful in selecting accommodation ( and Homestay accommodation costs $275 to $310 per week, please refer to our homestay provider Australian Homestay Network (AHN) for more information.

Q: What accommodation options do I have in Perth?

There is a range of accommodation options in Perth. Temporary accommodation offered in Perth includes hostel, backpacker lodges and serviced apartments. Many students choose to rent an apartment or house with other students. If you are concerned about signing a contract or rental agreements please speak to your International Coordinator at your college.

TAFE international students over 18 years old can apply to stay in accommodation at university student villages in Mount Lawley, Murdoch (metropolitan area) or Bunbury (South West).

Another popular choice is homestay accommodation, where you live with a local family and have most of your meals included.

View a full list of your accommodation options.

Q: Will my belongings be insured at the homestay?

Yes, Australia Homestay Network (AHN) has comprehensive compulsory homestay insurance cover which means that students personal effects are covered while living with an accredited AHN Host family. Full details of the insurance policy can be found on AHN website.

Added to shortlist view shortlist0
  • You have not added any courses to the shortlist yet.